22 November 2007

Chopsticks and Thanksgiving?

First before I actually start writing...I wanted to send out a big Happy late Thanksgiving! Cant believe it's that time of year already, Seriously where did 2007 go?? but I hope you all had a nice holiday!

So I had an interesting Thanksgiving day! Granted it was much like anyother day around here. I had German in morning for a few hours then only one conversation class! Yes, we talked about Thanksgiving! hahah But after a few hours work in my office I arrived back in my flat to find my French and Chinese flatmates hanging out in the kitchen! The chinese girl was cooking...the chinese cook..ALOT!! and more times then not its amazing food! Well on this particular night it was Octopus/Squid Soup...(not quite 100% sure, this is what we translated it to from Chinese into German, French and English). Seriously, so great! The soup was absolutely awesome! The only requirements when hanging with the Chinese is you use chopsticks and they want you to eat all the food they make! but they are so incredibly generous! And my chopstick skills are pretty much awesome by now! So no..I didnt make Turkey or Pumpkin Pie or Cranberry Sauce...It was a whole lot of soup...

But Thanksgiving in Europe is never really the same! I am always a little depressed and feel better that its over! So some updates......

I have started giving private English lessons at the moment! One is with a member of the Faculty. She works to set up study abroad programs. We basically work on casual conversation, developing conversations, formal language, as well as any other help she needs in English. For example the other day, I helped her write a presentation she has to give in English! She is fun and so eager to perfect her language skills. The other lesson is with another member of the Wolfsburg faculty. Her level of English is lower and we teach each other. I teach her English and she teaches me German!!! Love it! Just the Basics, vocab, building sentences...and the worst..English and German grammar!!! WARUM DER DIE DAS!!!! (why, Der, Die, Das)..Sorry had to express frustration with german grammar...

This past weekend, I was so honored to be invited to my two friends' (Rudi and Thomas) graduation ceremony! Even though they had already received there papers and diplomas, they were honored and have offically graduated from University! It was seriously awesome! I think I was more excited than they were! They have the event in the Castle...much more classy then in the dome! But it was so neat to be apart of it. Only something like 5% of the whole global population actually gets a University degree...it really is an accomplishment!

But all is well in Germany and I am so looking forward to Xmas!!! The Weihnachtmarkt (Christmas Markets) are going to be starting this weekend!!!! I am just excited!!!

So when in Germany...skip Thanksgiving turkey and go for the Octopus Soup and chopsticks!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is your "biggest fan" writing to tell you how much I am enjoying your wonderful experiences via your blog. You are really awesome. Sqid and Octupus soup doesn't sound too tempting but glad you liked it. By the way, how did you manage to eat soup with chopsticks? Ha
We are leaving for Hawaii at 7 AM tomorrow. Will e-mail when I get back. Love you lots and lots.
Grandma Norma

Your FAVORITE aunt-kathy said...

ALI, MOM HAS A POINT .HOW DID YOU EAT SOUP WITH CHOPSTICKS.THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVENTURES. WOODY AND MISS YOU ALOT AND LOVE YOU. KEEP BLOGGING GIRL. YOUR THE BEST. YOUR FAVORITE AUNT. KATHY!!!!!!!!
P.S. HAPPY OCTUPUS DAY!